Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default Question on 220V A/c outlet

In ,
RBM typed:
"jamesgangnc" wrote in message
On Apr 1, 1:51 pm, Mikepier
wrote:
Doing some reno work in my brother-in-laws condo.
Changed out the old FPE subpanel panel to a new one,
worked out great. Now I am changing out the old outlets.
One of them is a 220V A/C outlet that was originally
connected to a 20A double polebreaker with 12 guage
wire. The outlet looks like this:
http://www.levitonproducts.com/catal...id=DCD83CFDDBC...

My question is should I replace with the same kind? This
outlet is only rated for 15A, meanwhile I have a 20A
breaker. Do I need to put in a 20A outlet like this?

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/images...-05821-00A-rw-...

The outlet should be rated to at least the breaker.

What's plugged into it? While it is ok to have a 3 wire
220 outlet it is no longer ok to use the ground and neutral
interchangably at the outlet. So many 220 appliances
have switched to 4 wires with a 4 prong plug.

**There is no neutral on a 240 volt air conditioner
outlet, and grounds and neutrals were never
interchangeable on such appliances.

Exactly! Only the two hots and earth ground are necessary.

HTH,

Twayne`