Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Question on 220V A/c outlet

On 4/1/2011 1:08 PM, bud-- wrote:
On 4/1/2011 11:51 AM, Mikepier wrote:

out the old outlets. One of them is a 220V A/C outlet that was
originally connected to a 20A double polebreaker with 12 guage wire.

My question is should I replace with the same kind? This outlet is
only rated for 15A, meanwhile I have a 20A breaker. Do I need to put
in a 20A outlet like this?

If it is the only receptacle on the circuit (and 20A breaker and #12
wire) it should be 20A.

AFAIK, 15 and 20A outlets are both UL tested for 20A; the only
difference is the prong arrangement to not allow a 20A cordset to plug
into a 15A outlet but the 15A plug is still ok w/ a 20A breaker.

I know this is so for 120V and while I didn't go look at the current UL
protocol I'm virtually positive the same is true for 250V rated outlets.

In any case, there is no reason not to use a 20A receptacle.

True dat if replacing anyway or new work...but I don't believe there's
any overriding reason to replace the existing "just because" or for Code
reasons.