Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley[_2_] ransley[_2_] is offline

Default Apartment building fire

On Mar 31, 6:52*pm, mm wrote:
On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 17:08:49 -0700 (PDT), ransley

wrote:
* I had an apartment building fire with extensive smoke damage
affecting many apartments with smoke damage only. I have been told by

Sorry to hear this.

many contractors that when it is near 90f outside and humid the smoke
smell will re occur if it is not removed now. *It can get to 100f, 85%
humidity here, and there is no central air so I have prime weather for
re activating the dormant smoke smell. I have been told the high heat
periods are when the tenants will complain and move.

*My question is *does smoke that travels through the walls come back
into the next apartments through the openings, and outlets , walls?
Do any of you have direct fire , smoke damage experiance, *and have

Only a trifle. *And *the fire was elsewhere so this is just how long
the wood smelled.

Long ago, I came across a 6' wide, 6' high booksshelf that was badly
buurned on one side and someone burned on the other (on the backboard
80 square inches of iirc perforated masonite and one side 40 square
inches of 1" wood.) *I went into the hardware store a few feet away,
bought a saw, cut it in half and took the good half home. * It smelled
of smoke for 3 to 9 months**, the best I can recall, but less and less
of course, and after it stopped smelling hot and humid weather didn't
bring the small back.

**I'm sure it would have been longer if I had put my nose up to the
burnt wood, but I'm only going by what I noticed when I came in the
house.

any ideas on *to how far a rebuild has to go? *Are there any Fire Pro
guys out there? . The job keeps looking worse!

*I dont want the insurance co to cut me short!! *Does anyone have
actual fire- apartment- smoke - experiance here, With the building
open now, it will be July 2012 before I know if this years work was
enough to combat the smoke damage.- Hide quoted text -

Things air out, but closed walls?