Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley[_2_] ransley[_2_] is offline

Default Apartment building fire

On Mar 31, 2:17*am, Evan wrote:
On Mar 31, 12:06*am, "Steve B" wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"ransley" wrote in message
* I had an apartment building fire with extensive smoke damage
affecting many apartments with smoke damage only. I have been told by
many contractors that when it is near 90f outside and humid the smoke
smell will re occur if it is not removed now.

*My question is *does smoke that travels through the walls come back
into the next apartments through the openings, and outlets , walls?
Do any of you have direct fire , smoke damage experiance, *and have
any ideas on *to how far a rebuild has to go? *Are there any Fire Pro
guys out there? . The job keeps looking worse!

*I dont want the insurance co to cut me short!!

I had some personal experience, but that was over 50 years ago. *Yes, the
smell can come back. *Cleaning technology has improved though, and they
should be able to make it undetectable.

You also need a good insurance adjuster. *They get 5% of your total claim,
but can get you a lot more money that you can negotiate yourself. *I know
of two examples where the insurance company offered little, but the
adjuster got lots for detail work, such as the cleaning you will need..
Restaurant fi *offer $24,000 *adjuster settlement $120,000
Industrial fi *Ins Co offer $1.2 million *adjuster settlement *$3
million+

And they're sneaky MFs. *I wrecked my bike. *Took it in for estimates, which
were around $600. *Adjuster sent me a check for $180. *I wrote VOID on it,
and sent it back. *They ended up paying the $600. *Once you endorse that
check, it's case closed. *Period.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

That is not the case on damages to real estate...

In fact your insurance company may take quite a while to pay off the
full claim in several increments...

The first check you get is often barely "getting started money" and
is not a final acceptance of the claim payoff...

~~ Evan- Hide quoted text -

100% true.