Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chipped teeth on saw blades, cutting aluminum...

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 23:02:47 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 20:56:24 -0700,
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 11:15:48 -0700,
wrote:

(...)

http://www.toolbarn.com/makita-a-91039.html

Hey, that thing cost FOUR TIMES the amount I paid for my portable
bandsaw. I wonder how long they last. Is that horrible price a good
value?

The old $130 blades did last somewhat longer than the
$30. blades. Somewhat.

Not a good value, eh?

I don't think so.

(...)

Dina's (my old table saur) 40T carbide from HF cuts aluminum like
butter.

Yup! Cut some 1" aluminum sheet with my worm drive saw.
Worked a treat!

Pity Makita obsoleted this design without replacing it.
I think they were very disappointed that people didn't
feel compelled to buy the high priced blades from them.

I *really* like the cutting speed and the dead-nuts
reliable angle settings on this saw. Good Tool!

Cold saw or dry saw? I'd never heard "dry" before.
They're sure quicker and less messy than cutoff saws.

That is the truth. No smoke or sparks!

"Dry saw". Makita LC1230.

I suspect the name comes from the 'shattery' nature of
carbide when moistened at temperature. (Not talking
about continuous flood coolant here.)

The thermal shock? Thees eez a problem.

(Corrections gratefully accepted)

See below. -

http://www.toolup.com/makita_lc1230_...w-dry-cut.aspx

-Why would you cut light pipe 4 times? Nice $7.43 price reduction.-

I guess cutoff saws of all types look pretty much the same. She's
prolly beefier in the base than an abrasive. Love that Makita blue,
too. I'll bet she works slicker'n snot.

--
The secret of happiness is to make others believe they are the cause of it.
-- Al Batt