Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Apartment building fire

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 19:52:12 -0400, mm
wrote:

Only a trifle. And the fire was elsewhere so this is just how long
the wood smelled.

Long ago, I came across a 6' wide, 6' high booksshelf that was badly
buurned on one side and someone burned on the other (on the backboard
80 square inches of iirc perforated masonite and one side 40 square
inches of 1" wood.) I went into the hardware store a few feet away,
bought a saw, cut it in half and took the good half home. It smelled
of smoke for 3 to 9 months**, the best I can recall, but less and less
of course, and after it stopped smelling hot and humid weather didn't
bring the small back.

**I'm sure it would have been longer if I had put my nose up to the
burnt wood, but I'm only going by what I noticed when I came in the
house.

Maybe I should add that I did nothing to the burnt wood that was left
to get rid of the smell. I didn't expect it to last so long, and I
don't think I wanted to spend time scraping off the ash and charcoal.