Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chipped teeth on saw blades, cutting aluminum...

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 20:56:24 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 11:15:48 -0700,
wrote:

(...)

http://www.toolbarn.com/makita-a-91039.html

Hey, that thing cost FOUR TIMES the amount I paid for my portable
bandsaw. I wonder how long they last. Is that horrible price a good
value?

The old $130 blades did last somewhat longer than the
$30. blades. Somewhat.

Not a good value, eh?

I can't believe that the high priced blade lasts ~8 x longer
than the el cheapo deluxe version however.

And that's key to its worth. I'd want to talk in depth to an owner of
one before buying it.

I found that 60 t was about right for steel; 100 t was
actually too many. The blade would skate over the metal
without cutting nearly as well as the 60 t jobbies.

I feel the same about the 100T plywood blades in wood. I get better
cuts with 24T carbide construction blades like the B&D Piranha, at
1/8th the cost.

Dina's (my old table saur) 40T carbide from HF cuts aluminum like
butter.

Pity Makita obsoleted this design without replacing it.
I think they were very disappointed that people didn't
feel compelled to buy the high priced blades from them.

I *really* like the cutting speed and the dead-nuts
reliable angle settings on this saw. Good Tool!

Cold saw or dry saw? I'd never heard "dry" before.
They're sure quicker and less messy than cutoff saws.

--
The secret of happiness is to make others believe they are the cause of it.
-- Al Batt