Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Chipped teeth on saw blades, cutting aluminum...

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 11:15:48 -0700,
wrote:

(...)

http://www.toolbarn.com/makita-a-91039.html

Hey, that thing cost FOUR TIMES the amount I paid for my portable
bandsaw. I wonder how long they last. Is that horrible price a good
value?

The old $130 blades did last somewhat longer than the
$30. blades. Somewhat.

I can't believe that the high priced blade lasts ~8 x longer
than the el cheapo deluxe version however.

I found that 60 t was about right for steel; 100 t was
actually too many. The blade would skate over the metal
without cutting nearly as well as the 60 t jobbies.

Pity Makita obsoleted this design without replacing it.
I think they were very disappointed that people didn't
feel compelled to buy the high priced blades from them.

I *really* like the cutting speed and the dead-nuts
reliable angle settings on this saw. Good Tool!

--Winston