Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Chipped teeth on saw blades, cutting aluminum...

On Mar 30, 12:36*am, Gerald Miller wrote:
On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 21:46:36 -0700, Bob La Londe

Awl --

Any nifty uses for worn-out RAS blades? *Frisbee?? *Just scrap'em?

I was wondering if the blades would make decent knife steel, but other
than that I can't think of a use for them.

Has anyone tried cutting them up to use an individual tooth as a
parting tool?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

I've read of it being done, on a worn blade you'd probably want to
reshape and resharpen with a diamond wheel or at a minimum a honing
plate. I'd also worry about the grade of carbide not being that well
suited to metal cutting, but for a few slots it probably wouldn't
matter.

In days of old when carbide blades were more expensive than shop time,
guys would braze in new carbide inserts and re-sharpen to suit. I've
seen articles in old magazines. There might be some residual scrap
value in the inserts, you'd have to have a bunch, though.

The older pre-carbide saw bades made fairly decent knives if you could
work out a heat treat regimen, don't know about carbide insert
carriers since the steel is selected for other things than cutting
properties.

Stan