Charlie Self

Default Thoughts On Why We Are Getting Our Ass Kicked

mttt writes:

The manager types who want a global economy, and who may have been put
through bidness school by fathers who worked with their hands, want
access to cheap labor and goods.

No! You do! You want cheap cars, cheap lettuce and cheap TV's. Hell, I
want cheap cars and TV's (I don't like lettuce.)

Well, I'm perfectly willing to drive used vehicles. Mostly I do anyway. Bought
my first new car in more than a decade about 3-1/2 years ago and have regretted
it with consistency. Dump the dealer and dump the brand and I'll still buy used
next time. As far as lettuce goes, I can grow my own most of the year, thanks.
And TV...yeah, I like cheap TVs. I hardly ever watch, so it's not worth a lot
of money to me.

But there's cheap and there's cheap. And we are now living the results of a
decade of cheap #2, with some companies aiming at cheap #3.

Absolutely the only thing that matters for far too many companies today, large
and small, is the bottom line. How you get there is becoming totally
irrelevant.

And that is unfortunate.

Charlie Self
"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other
way." Mark Twain
http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html