Charlie Self

Default New Woodworking Magazine? - a short review

Bob Schmall responds:

I spent 15 years in print media, so I look at Woodworking from a different
angle. I'm afraid that it isn't going to find a niche in a crowded field. $7
per issue of a "thin" magazine (ads or no ads, it's a perception) may price
it out of sight for the beginner, the guy who is in the target audience. The
book is very well designed, good paper stock, nice photos well-reproduced,
and easy to use. But nowhere does it say "for the beginner" and its very
look and feel may lead a potential buyer to think it's beyond them. It just
didn't seem to have much meat. Of course these are just my opinions--I'll be
buying #2 also.

And find another store. Buying Canadian is painful. My issue, just bought,
lists at $4.99, which means about $4.49 at WalMart. Canadian bucks run it up to
$7.99.

The articles seem to me to be basic, but thorough. I like the shelf support
basics, though they left out a couple you can make that are a lot nicer than
the boughten kind. The piece on stub tenon doors is about as complete as such
a piece can get, very nicely photographed. I like the chisel/plane hanging box.
I'm not really fond of the piece on short rules, probably because I almost
never use a 6" rule. Or possibly because it's a bit over-complete for what it's
about. Haven't had time to do much with the rest, but i'll be buying issue #2
as well...but, then again, if it's going to $7, maybe not. Or is that just for
the pre-order? Is it going to stay $4.99 on the newsstands?

Charlie Self
"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other
way." Mark Twain
http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html