Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chipped teeth on saw blades, cutting aluminum...

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 12:26:45 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 07:20:39 -0700,
wrote:

Existential Angst wrote:

(...)

Heh, this is an inneresting Q: Can a DIY sucka re-braze carbide to a
blade??

Why not? This guy looks like he's done it once or twice.

Notice how he stripped the teeth off the entire blade instead of
trying to replace just one or two teeth. I bet there is a good
reason for that.

If one joint failed, the rest may be ready.

Also, the replacement teeth are guaranteed to be differently -
shaped than the worn teeth, making sharpening a much more
time-consuming process than it needs to be.

I suppose size/weight could have some implications here, too. Put a
single different sized tooth on and throw the blade out of dynamic
balance.

My nit is that they never showed any additional silver solder being
applied. Is there enough after removing the teeth? I'd be wary of
that.

He *implies* that he put fresh silver solder in the joint
between shots. (Must look up silver solder *paste*!)

Powdered silver solder in white flux, just what we need.

(...)

He is *right* about the 'white' flux. It is just unusable
because it oxidizes very quickly.

It's prolly only unusable for all of us, the amateurs.

I dunno. Stuff turns color and starts boiling off *long*
before the joint is up to temperature.

HEIDI KLUM: Ooooo, Dash Bad!

There's a goddess if there ever was one. Too bad her boobs weren't a
bit smaller, she was unmarried, and she liked older guys. She'd be
perfect for me. (POP! and then I woke up.)

--
The general effect was exactly like a microscopic view of a
small detachment of black beetles, in search of a dead rat.