Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default OT What does a Tomohawk missile cost?

In article ,
" wrote:

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 19:06:50 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

I'm a simple man with simple needs. A single million would do me easily,
for the maybe 30 years I have left.

33k/yr? I'm a simple man too, but I'd rather have 10 million.

Ever hear of this new thing called "compound interest"?

Sure, I'm a math guy. Suppose you tell me where to invest money these
days to get anything resembling simple interest, let alone compound
interest. My savings account is earning, uh, 0.05%. And yes, the decimal
place is correct. That's 1/20 of 1%.

Compound interest works when you're 20 and can invest for 40 years at 8%
or better, let's say. It doesn't work so well when you start living off
the principal immediately, and all the reasonable investments are
history.