Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chipped teeth on saw blades, cutting aluminum...

"Existential Angst" on Tue, 29 Mar 2011
20:06:23 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Awl --

I do some alum cutting on my RAS, using mostly 60 tooth 10" blades --
everything from 1/8" material, to 3" material, with 1" flat and round bar
being typical.

How significant is chipped/missing carbide on a tooth or two (non-adjacent)?

If a chipped/missing tooth is ok for 60 tooth, how coarse can the blade get
before missing/chipped carbide is not OK?

Depends on how much of a cut/chip load you're taking. As well as
how smooth a finish you care about.

If dicey on alum, can these chipped blades be used safely on wood?

"Depends on how much of a cut/chipload and the nature of the
finish you want."

I will switch to new or unchipped blades awaiting Group Advice.

Also, I have a 10" 80 tooth Morse Metal Devil specifically for alum, which
doesn't look much different than other non-specific 60 tooth carbide
blades -- except the price sticker, $90 !! It was given to me.

I just bought an Avanti two-pack of 10" 60 tooth from HD, for $29. Just
wondering what diffs between the two blades to expect, if any.

In the two pack?

Any nifty uses for worn-out RAS blades? Frisbee?? Just scrap'em?

Coasters?
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!