Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Mounting timer & outlet in a box

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 07:29:15 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc
wrote:

Electrical tape is sloppy. No connections will come loose. I use top quality
(Panduit) crimps connectors and the correct (Panduit) tool to attach them.
All possible scary scenarios have been pondered and crushed. :-)

I have used those outdoor boxes for similar purposes myself and do
prefer them over the regular metal old work box. But I agree about
the electricat tape, not fond of it either. I just use wirenuts but
don't have any problems with them as long as they are nice and tight.

Since we're on the subject, I'll again mention silicon tape, or
stretch tape, or I forget the favored name. Hard to find, expensive,
but you stretch a piece three times its length, then wrap it and it
sticks like crazy and within a couple days merges into one blob,
waterproof except perhaps where it touches the work.

The rolls I've seen have a white plastic roll in the center, instead
of cardboard like vinyl or real (cloth) electric tape.