Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mounting timer & outlet in a box

On Mar 29, 8:54*am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
"jamesgangnc" wrote in message

On Mar 29, 8:21 am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message

On Mar 29, 7:56 am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

Ya know those wind-up timers you sometimes (or used to) see in hotel
bathrooms for the heat lamps? I need to mount one of those, and an
outlet
in
a metal box. It'll be used for a portable electric heater which we
regularly
forget to turn off. For grounding purposes, should the green from the
outlet, timer and cord all be attached to the box itself?

You're putting the box on the end of a cord? Yes, connect the metal
box and all ground wires together. I beleive I've seen those timers
in lowes btw.

===========

I bought the shortest big fat extension cord I could find which was
appropriate for the wattage of the heater, and made sure there was a place
in town where I could buy a grommet/strain relief thing that would fit
around the cord as it entered the box. A friend has the proper tool for
installing the grommet. I'm going to cut the cord down so there's about 3
feet sticking out of the box.

I've seen that done before. *As long as you have strain relief and tie
all the grounds to the box it's perfectly safe.

I'm really adverse to burning my house down. It's one of my little quirks..
So, yes. It'll be done that way. :-)- Hide quoted text -

We all have our little foibles.