Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Barss Andrew Barss is offline

Default Disc Sander Question

Larry Blanchard wrote:
: On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 20:15:51 -0700, Lew Hodgett wrote:

: You can even find a 10" sanding disc that is designed to fit a table saw
: that is tapered on one face and flat on the opposite face.
:
: Supposedly the tapered face is designed to produce a jointed edge.

: But that only works if you can tilt the disc slightly. I doubt the HF
: sander has that capability.

: I have a tapered disc for my tablesaw. Tilting it to remove the taper so
: that only a small arc touches the wood, and using the rip fence, I can
: get a pretty smooth edge.

I'm confused. Why is this better than a plain flat disc?

And if the disk is flat, you get a 90-degree edge when the TS blade is
set at 90 degrees, etc., but the tapered disc is going to require some
adding/subtracting.

-- Andy Barss