Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Disc Sander Question

On 3/28/2011 2:51 PM, Leon wrote:
"Larry wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 20:30:50 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You do realize that I bought a Disc Sander, not a Sanding Disk, right?

Yes I do. If either the table or the disc tilts you can use it just as I
described by setting up a rip fence of some sort. If no tilt, then you
can't use it as a jointer and should have a flat disc.

IF you use the bench top sander which sands in the middle of the disk to
sand the edge of the wood with the aid of some sort of rip fence, WHAT do
you use to remove the sanding marks that will resulf. The scratch pattern
will be 90 degreed to the grain dirrection.

If the point is simply to straighten the edge for jointing, doesn't
matter (assuming you're not use 40-grit chunk o' rock paper, anyway).
Any fine scratches won't harm the glue joint at all.

Or, as Larry suggests, set it up instead of on the center edge to use
the top edge in a (nearly) parallel direction if you prefer and the
scuff pattern will be w/ longways.