Posted to rec.woodworking
Josepi[_17_] Josepi[_17_] is offline

Default Disc Sander Question

I would take it back. I had a disk sander made at a local machine shop years
ago and from the way I use it, have used it, and have used other disc
sanders, it would be almost useless and screw my wood machining up.

Sometimes you need/ want the whole width of the wood to be completely flat
and I have no other awareness of why you would want a cone peak in the
centre. This makes it a half diameter disc size from what you paid for in my
book. To shear off the back of a box or similar wide wood piece you would
need to run the piece across the surface and risk waves in you work as you
hit harder and softer pieces to sand. Try planing a door edge completely
flat with a 8" long plane. Similar thing and you pay for size just like the
women that hire you....LOL

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
That said, I'm still not sure what I got.

All other things quality-related being what they are, this question is
still on the table (no pun intended):

Is my disc tapered because it was designed that way or is my disc
tapered due to poor workmanship?

Since there certainly appears to be an "object" known as a tapered
disc, could it be that this is what comes with the HF Disc Sander or
are tapered discs only used on table saws?