Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser[_3_] Lobby Dosser[_3_] is offline

Default Disc Sander Question

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 12:28:31 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Mar 27, 10:28 am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 19:18:53 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

wrote:
I just bought a Harbor Freight 10" Disc Sander.

If I place a straight edge across the face of the disc, it's not flat.
It is "higher" in the center of the disc, i.e. the straight edge rocks
from side to side. With the straight edge held flat against the one
side of the face, there's about a 1/16"gap at the opposite edge of the
disc.

Does it wobble, too? I'd return it.

No wobble at all. I would have already returned it if it did.

I'm new to disc sanders, so I'm not sure if this is an issue or not.

If you're trying to flatten a surface, it will be a big issue.

Now I'm really confused. Some say that it's a beveled disk and can be
used as a joiner, you say it's an issue if I try to use it to flatten
a surface. Isn't a joiner used to flatten a surface (edge) for gluing?

"It's all in how you use the tool."

Thanks for your comments on this situation.

Some choices:

1) Return it to HF and measure the other models they have in stock,
taking the best one.

A fine suggestion, if I feel like taking the plastic straps off the
boxes, cutting the packing tape, removing the packing foam, lifting
the units out of their boxes and taking them out of the plastic bag.
Then, after checking each disk - 'cuz I'm a nice guy - reversing the
whole process and packing them all up again. ;-)

Yabbut, first you have to talk the HF knuckledraggers to bring them
all down to you to check.

2) Return it and try one of their 12" models for $35 more. If you used
a 20% off coupon, be sure they apply that discount to the new purchase
price.

Why would switching to a 12" model ensure that I would get a flat
disc?

It might not, but the more expensive tools get closer scrutiny at all
the Red Dragon Noodle and Machine Tool factories, don'tchaknow?

3) Return it and call Grizzly. Have them ensure that you'll get a
flat one if you order from them, then order it
there.http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Disc-Sander/G729712"
I get $191.65 as a delivered price to Oregon. YMMV.

That's a bit high for my needs. $89.99 - $20 (on a $100) purchase fit
my budget (and gift cards).

I hoped against hope that wasn't the case.

As far as what I plan to use it for (mostly rounding the corners on
wood (and aluminum) stock) the "bevel" might not be an issue since
I'll really just be using the down stroke side of the disc anyway.

I'm really just curious if that's how it's supposed to be.

What does the Japanese translator for the Chinglish translated booklet
say about this parameter?

If it's not, get a set of carbide lathe tools and a lathe manual so
you can learn how to turn down the center to flat.

That's it, just turn it down in place! Imagine it's a bowl lathe ....