Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cool sight today

On 3/27/2011 10:51 AM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 01:10:35 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 3/27/2011 12:14 AM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 21:07:45 -0700 (PDT), Harry
wrote:

On Mar 26, 7:41 pm, "Robert wrote:
"Tony wrote in message news:6Pcjp.1475
And Huey chopper.

Six thousand parts flying in close formation capped by a Jesus nut.

--
Bobby G.

I was stationed at Kelly AFB, Tx in...umm... 1954 at an intelligence
outfit on a hill just above the start of the runway. Used to watch
the B-36s landing They would touch down just past our location, pop
chutes and roll for what seemed forever. Dunno how long that runway
was but they would disappear over a slight rise in the middle of it
still rolling with the chutes still out.

That one was known as "The Aluminum Overcast" and also "a collection
of parts flying in loose formation". The only modern bomber that
never saw action.

We used to live under one of the landing patterns to Stuart Airforce Base. You
want see a slow bird fly, the C5A looks like it's almost stopped in mid air.
It's still going a couple of hundred MPH, but it's huge.

Back in '88 I was on the island of Kwajalein when an Air force Reserve
C-5A buzzed the runway. It sounded like 10,000 vacuum cleaners coming
in low over the strip and since it was empty, the pilot pulled up into
a surprisingly step and fast climb then that monster disappeared into
a cloud bank with what I could swear was a loud "POOF!". ^_^

They were still pretty high when they passed over us (probably 20mi from
Stuart). We didn't hear any vacuum cleaners, just a really odd whistle.

I believe I meant to write "steep climb" but anyway, if you ever get a
chance to be near a C-5 on takeoff you will hear that unique sound of
those high-bypass turbofan engines when they're max power. The older
C-141 planes that came through there, screamed like banshies because the
engines are older design turbofans. I got to ride a C-141 to Hawaii
from Kwajalein and got my Air Force white box lunch too. The crew let me
say hello to the pilots who were laid back in their seats with their
feet on the dash and the plane on cruse control. They were Air Force
Reserve pilots out of California getting in flight hours. ^_^

TDD