Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cool sight today

Driving northward past Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada, and coming straight at
us on final southerly approach, a C-130. Unknown if just a cargo carrier,
or a Spooky, but one big fat slow beautiful airplane. My wife saw it first
and quipped, "What the hell is that?" It takes a lot to get her attention.
I just said it was a weapons platform that you would not want looking for
you.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
Driving northward past Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada, and coming straight at
us on final southerly approach, a C-130. Unknown if just a cargo carrier,
or a Spooky, but one big fat slow beautiful airplane. My wife saw it first
and quipped, "What the hell is that?" It takes a lot to get her attention.
I just said it was a weapons platform that you would not want looking for
you.

Steve

Hi,
Brings back memory during days in 'Nam in late '60s. Once I was sitting
on top of fully loaded ammunition cargo pile going on a TDY in a hurry.
Guess what? looking out one engine on the starboard side was smoking but
no flame. Pilot cut out the engine and landed at destination
w/o a hitch. At the time I was a bit scared and did not feel good until
I stood on the ground. C-130 went thru a lot of evolution over the
years. One of best flying workhorse around. I used to fly around in
Caribou twin engine job too which can take off on short runway.
And Huey chopper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-03-26, Tony Hwang wrote:

I stood on the ground. C-130 went thru a lot of evolution over the
years. One of best flying workhorse around. I used to fly around in
Caribou twin engine job too which can take off on short runway.

Yep. I was in USAF as a firefighter. Used to have runway standby
duty and watch those Hercs and Caribous shoot touch n' goes all day
long.

Those damn Hercs are one of the greatest planes ever designed. Still
in production after 50 yrs! "Over 40 models and variants of the
Hercules serve with more than 60 nations."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_C-130_Hercules

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 25, 9:30*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
Driving northward past Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada, and coming straight at
us on final southerly approach, a C-130. *Unknown if just a cargo carrier,
or a Spooky, but one big fat slow beautiful airplane. *My wife saw it first
and quipped, "What the hell is that?" *It takes a lot to get her attention.
I just said it was a weapons platform that you would not want looking for
you.

Steve

And this relates to home repair topics just how?

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 3:48*am, Joe wrote:
On Mar 25, 9:30*pm, "Steve B" wrote:

Driving northward past Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada, and coming straight at
us on final southerly approach, a C-130. *Unknown if just a cargo carrier,
or a Spooky, but one big fat slow beautiful airplane. *My wife saw it first
and quipped, "What the hell is that?" *It takes a lot to get her attention.
I just said it was a weapons platform that you would not want looking for
you.

Steve

And this relates to home repair topics just how?

Joe

Not at all. But participation is not compulsary. Are you a control
freak?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 2:30*am, "Steve B" wrote:
Driving northward past Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada, and coming straight at
us on final southerly approach, a C-130. *Unknown if just a cargo carrier,
or a Spooky, but one big fat slow beautiful airplane. *My wife saw it first
and quipped, "What the hell is that?" *It takes a lot to get her attention.
I just said it was a weapons platform that you would not want looking for
you.

Steve

I see them here in the UK often. They fly below my house, which is on
a low hill. Definately spooky. You hear them about five seconds
before you see them. As they are in camaflage and below me, it takes
a few seconds to spot them as they go by.
Occasionally they pass over my house at less then fifty feet I would
say.
I dunno whether they have terrain following radar. If not, I hope the
pilot never blinks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
My wife saw it first and quipped, "What the hell is that?"

That's what SHE said.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Steve B wrote:
[...]

Flew in a lot of Hueys in the oilfields in 74 to 80. Probably not AH1's,
but their successor. We had no door gunner.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
On Mar 25, 9:30 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
Driving northward past Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada, and coming straight
at
us on final southerly approach, a C-130. Unknown if just a cargo carrier,
or a Spooky, but one big fat slow beautiful airplane. My wife saw it first
and quipped, "What the hell is that?" It takes a lot to get her attention.
I just said it was a weapons platform that you would not want looking for
you.

Steve

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

And this relates to home repair topics just how?

Joe

Joe:

I notice you have taken to task a writer about whether or not a post is on
topic, is spelled correctly, or some other minute detail.

I would like to inform you that the post of Netnanny is already filled. It
is held by Newton Fillmore, in Pacoima, California, although Mr. Fillmore is
currently in a coma, and has been for three years, eight months now. We
just could not bring ourselves to demote him without a proper hearing and
him being present.

Please be advised that there are currently over 500 applicants and wannabes
for the position. That does not include people like yourself who have
broken with protocol and currently act like they are in the cherished
position.

If and when and if ever the post becomes available, you will be required to
write an essay of no longer than 1500 words, single spaced, using the words
there, they're, their, your, you're, and any others you can come up with in
as many incorrect grammatical situations as possible.

You must also describe the difference between "lose" and "loose" in 25 words
or less.

You must also include the reason that gives you the lifelong right to hold
this post, and review the rest of humanity on its daily heretofore
unobserved unsupervised act of Usenet Posting.

Steve
3rd Pooh-Bah and Grand Mucky Muck
of the Society of Netnannies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message news:6Pcjp.1475

And Huey chopper.

Six thousand parts flying in close formation capped by a Jesus nut.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2011 9:41 PM, Robert Green wrote:
"Tony wrote in message news:6Pcjp.1475

And Huey chopper.

Six thousand parts flying in close formation capped by a Jesus nut.

--
Bobby G.

Darn, for a second there I thought you were referring to a mega-church.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 7:41*pm, "Robert Green" wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message news:6Pcjp.1475
And Huey chopper.

Six thousand parts flying in close formation capped by a Jesus nut.

--
Bobby G.

I was stationed at Kelly AFB, Tx in...umm... 1954 at an intelligence
outfit on a hill just above the start of the runway. Used to watch
the B-36s landing They would touch down just past our location, pop
chutes and roll for what seemed forever. Dunno how long that runway
was but they would disappear over a slight rise in the middle of it
still rolling with the chutes still out.

That one was known as "The Aluminum Overcast" and also "a collection
of parts flying in loose formation". The only modern bomber that
never saw action.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 21:07:45 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

On Mar 26, 7:41*pm, "Robert Green" wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message news:6Pcjp.1475
And Huey chopper.

Six thousand parts flying in close formation capped by a Jesus nut.

--
Bobby G.

I was stationed at Kelly AFB, Tx in...umm... 1954 at an intelligence
outfit on a hill just above the start of the runway. Used to watch
the B-36s landing They would touch down just past our location, pop
chutes and roll for what seemed forever. Dunno how long that runway
was but they would disappear over a slight rise in the middle of it
still rolling with the chutes still out.

That one was known as "The Aluminum Overcast" and also "a collection
of parts flying in loose formation". The only modern bomber that
never saw action.

We used to live under one of the landing patterns to Stuart Airforce Base. You
want see a slow bird fly, the C5A looks like it's almost stopped in mid air.
It's still going a couple of hundred MPH, but it's huge.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mar 26, 7:41 pm, "Robert wrote:
[...]

Back in '88 I was on the island of Kwajalein when an Air force Reserve
C-5A buzzed the runway. It sounded like 10,000 vacuum cleaners coming
in low over the strip and since it was empty, the pilot pulled up into
a surprisingly step and fast climb then that monster disappeared into
a cloud bank with what I could swear was a loud "POOF!". ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 27, 2:41*am, "Robert Green" wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message news:6Pcjp.1475
And Huey chopper.

Six thousand parts flying in close formation capped by a Jesus nut.

--
Bobby G.

Helicopter.
"The triumph of technology over common sense".
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mar 26, 7:41 pm, "Robert wrote:
[...]

They were still pretty high when they passed over us (probably 20mi from
Stuart). We didn't hear any vacuum cleaners, just a really odd whistle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/27/2011 10:51 AM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 01:10:35 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

wrote:

On Mar 26, 7:41 pm, "Robert wrote:
[...]

I believe I meant to write "steep climb" but anyway, if you ever get a
chance to be near a C-5 on takeoff you will hear that unique sound of
those high-bypass turbofan engines when they're max power. The older
C-141 planes that came through there, screamed like banshies because the
engines are older design turbofans. I got to ride a C-141 to Hawaii
from Kwajalein and got my Air Force white box lunch too. The crew let me
say hello to the pilots who were laid back in their seats with their
feet on the dash and the plane on cruse control. They were Air Force
Reserve pilots out of California getting in flight hours. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 25, 9:30*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
Driving northward past Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada, and coming straight at
us on final southerly approach, a C-130. *Unknown if just a cargo carrier,
or a Spooky, but one big fat slow beautiful airplane. *My wife saw it first
and quipped, "What the hell is that?" *It takes a lot to get her attention.
I just said it was a weapons platform that you would not want looking for
you.

Steve

In the true spirit of home repair topics slightly OT, by all means
Google 'Antonov 225' and get some views of the world's largest
aircraft. Fortunately, used for cargo work as far as we know.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote the following:
Driving northward past Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada, and coming straight at
us on final southerly approach, a C-130. Unknown if just a cargo carrier,
or a Spooky, but one big fat slow beautiful airplane. My wife saw it first
and quipped, "What the hell is that?" It takes a lot to get her attention.
I just said it was a weapons platform that you would not want looking for
you.

Steve

I live within a few miles of Stewart International Airport (SWF). Also
stationed there is the 105th ANG with 13 C-5A Galaxies that have flown
over my house since I moved here in 1984. Unfortunately, the giant C-5As
are to be replaced by 8 of the smaller C-17s this Summer. I will miss
those big birds as they floated overhead looking like they were doing 30
MPH.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/27/2011 8:06 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 19:30:25 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

Driving northward past Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada, and coming straight at
us on final southerly approach, a C-130. Unknown if just a cargo carrier,
or a Spooky, but one big fat slow beautiful airplane. My wife saw it first
and quipped, "What the hell is that?" It takes a lot to get her attention.
I just said it was a weapons platform that you would not want looking for
you.

Steve

I spent many years on this base before I quit working for a living. At
one time I had hundreds of convicts working and performing janitorial
duties.

I always say: Hear that? That's the sound of freedom. I've been in
about every hanger on the base at Nellis at one time or another.

Seen many planes there. I teased a rookie from Texas about the B-52
having eight motors. He corrected me right away, calling them engines.

Well golly gee....

Somewhere in my file cabinet at work, I still have the catalog from when
Uncle sold the last bunch of them for scrap, as part of START treaty
compliance. IIRC, no more than 10-15% of the airframes are left- 'G' or
maybe 'H' models I think, but it has been awhile. I saw some of the
ground-level and aerial photos from when they guillotined them- rather
sad. If I was master of the universe, stuff like that would be left
parked in the desert, for people 1000 years from now to marvel and
wonder about.

A few of them will probably still be flying 80 years after production of
the model started. Gotta give Boeing credit for a pre-computer-era
design like that, to still be usable this many decades later.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I think only 'H' models are still around. There is one 'H' with a 'G' tail
(broke its tail on landing), or something like that.

A few of them will probably still be flying 80 years after production of
the model started. Gotta give Boeing credit for a pre-computer-era
design like that, to still be usable this many decades later.

IIRC, they're already flying with the grandkids of their first crews.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 27, 9:02*pm, Joe wrote:
On Mar 25, 9:30*pm, "Steve B" wrote:

Driving northward past Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada, and coming straight at
us on final southerly approach, a C-130. *Unknown if just a cargo carrier,
or a Spooky, but one big fat slow beautiful airplane. *My wife saw it first
and quipped, "What the hell is that?" *It takes a lot to get her attention.
I just said it was a weapons platform that you would not want looking for
you.

Steve

In the true spirit of home repair topics slightly OT, by all means
Google 'Antonov 225' and get some views of the world's largest
aircraft. Fortunately, used for cargo work as far as we know.

Joe

I thought the "Spruce Goose" was still the world's largest aircraft?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/2011 2:12 AM, harry wrote:
On Mar 27, 9:02 pm, wrote:
On Mar 25, 9:30 pm, "Steve wrote:

Driving northward past Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada, and coming straight at
us on final southerly approach, a C-130. Unknown if just a cargo carrier,
or a Spooky, but one big fat slow beautiful airplane. My wife saw it first
and quipped, "What the hell is that?" It takes a lot to get her attention.
I just said it was a weapons platform that you would not want looking for
you.

Steve

In the true spirit of home repair topics slightly OT, by all means
Google 'Antonov 225' and get some views of the world's largest
aircraft. Fortunately, used for cargo work as far as we know.

Joe

I thought the "Spruce Goose" was still the world's largest aircraft?

Best comparison I've seen at a very cool site:

http://www.asb.tv/blog/2011/02/worlds-largest-aircraft/

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:impo4m$hka$1
@dont-email.me:

Best comparison I've seen at a very cool site:

http://www.asb.tv/blog/2011/02/worlds-largest-aircraft/

TDD

Kewl!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote

In the true spirit of home repair topics slightly OT, by all means
Google 'Antonov 225' and get some views of the world's largest
aircraft. Fortunately, used for cargo work as far as we know.

Joe

I thought the "Spruce Goose" was still the world's largest aircraft?

Best comparison I've seen at a very cool site:

http://www.asb.tv/blog/2011/02/worlds-largest-aircraft/

TDD

I saw the Antonov land and take off from McCarran Airport in Las Vegas.
Newspaper reports said they "used every foot of the runway", and they got
that right. I thought it was going to take out the fences at the end of the
runway. IIRC, it was carrying tons of medical supplies for the Chernobyl
thing.

What amazed me was the wheel assemblies.

Saw the Concorde many times, too, as flight approach on the east/west runway
ran right over my house way at the east end of the valley.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 27, 9:02 pm, *wrote:
On Mar 25, 9:30 pm, "Steve *wrote:

Driving northward past Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada, and coming straight at
us on final southerly approach, a C-130. *Unknown if just a cargo carrier,
or a Spooky, but one big fat slow beautiful airplane. *My wife saw it first
and quipped, "What the hell is that?" *It takes a lot to get her attention.
I just said it was a weapons platform that you would not want looking for
you.

Steve

In the true spirit of home repair topics slightly OT, by all means
Google 'Antonov 225' and get some views of the world's largest
aircraft. Fortunately, used for cargo work as far as we know.

Joe

I thought the "Spruce Goose" was still the world's largest aircraft?

Best comparison I've seen at a very cool site:

http://www.asb.tv/blog/2011/02/worlds-largest-aircraft/

TDD- Hide quoted text -

I recall an inflight picture of a huge 1930s era Soviet bomber with
mltiple engines mounted IIRC on top of the wing. So far all I have
been able to turn up is:

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/k/k7bomber.htm

Which is nowhere as big as I recall and the engines are wrong.

Harrry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Han" wrote in message
The Daring Dufas wrote in news:impo4m$hka$1
@dont-email.me:

Best comparison I've seen at a very cool site:

http://www.asb.tv/blog/2011/02/worlds-largest-aircraft/

TDD

Kewl!

Yes, very nice pictures. Good comparison diagram at:

http://www.asb.tv/blog/wp-content/up...t-aircraft.png

They don't say what happened to the "Goose", though, after Hughes died in
1976.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 07:14:26 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote

In the true spirit of home repair topics slightly OT, by all means
Google 'Antonov 225' and get some views of the world's largest
aircraft. Fortunately, used for cargo work as far as we know.

Joe

I thought the "Spruce Goose" was still the world's largest aircraft?

Best comparison I've seen at a very cool site:

http://www.asb.tv/blog/2011/02/worlds-largest-aircraft/

TDD

I saw the Antonov land and take off from McCarran Airport in Las Vegas.
Newspaper reports said they "used every foot of the runway", and they got
that right. I thought it was going to take out the fences at the end of the
runway. IIRC, it was carrying tons of medical supplies for the Chernobyl
thing.

What amazed me was the wheel assemblies.

That's what amazed me about the first B38 wheels. There's a whole rubber
forest in one of those things. ;-)

Saw the Concorde many times, too, as flight approach on the east/west runway
ran right over my house way at the east end of the valley.

Saw them take off at JFK a few times. Noisy doesn't even begin to describe
them. ...and I was in the terminal building.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 27, 9:02 pm, *wrote:
On Mar 25, 9:30 pm, "Steve *wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately the k7 link contains drawings, but I guess you knew that. *- Hide quoted text -

??? so? Is that supposed to mean something?

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 00:28:13 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 20:09:51 -0500, "
wrote:

That's what amazed me about the first B38 wheels. There's a whole rubber
forest in one of those things. ;-)

B-36? (6 engine "pusher")

Yes, the original design had a single *monster* tire per. It was soon
changed. The Wright Pat Air Force Museum has one of them (gear only) in the
corner.

I saw one in the fifties that landed at Bolling Field in DC for Armed
Forces Day. They actually had to link the runway at Bolling with the
Runway at the NAS to get it long enough. They had "paved" about a
quarter mile of the grass with that metal plate with the 3 holes in
it. They also had to take a fence down.
We went up to "overlook" the hill East of Bolling to watch it take
off. Quite a bird.

I was walking around a C-5 at Andrews at another AF day in the 70s.
They also had a B-52, one big ugly sombitch that looks like it means
business.

That's why they call it the "BUFF". ;-)

They also did a demo "mass drop" with the 82d Airborne. These guys
jumped from what looked like a few hundred feet. It was spooky. I sure
wouldn't want to be sitting in a fox hole watching that happen.
It was about 90 seconds after the plane went over that they had run,
screaming at us and mustered in front of the grandstand in full battle
gear. All I can say is the bad guys better know a short prayer.

I don't want to be one of them jumping on the badies, either. They're
"hanging out" in more than one way, until they get down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

They also did a demo "mass drop" with the 82d Airborne. These guys
jumped from what looked like a few hundred feet. It was spooky. I sure
wouldn't want to be sitting in a fox hole watching that happen.
It was about 90 seconds after the plane went over that they had run,
screaming at us and mustered in front of the grandstand in full battle
gear. All I can say is the bad guys better know a short prayer.

I don't want to be one of them jumping on the badies, either. They're
"hanging out" in more than one way, until they get down.

That was the thing that was so impressive. These guys were so low, the
chute opened and they were on the ground. By the time the last stick
was off the ramp the first stick was running at us.
I don't know how they would have handled a malfunction.

During the training of Patton's troops in WWII, near Palm Springs, they set
two world records one night. They had the largest numbers of paratroopers
jump at night. And they jumped into the largest cholla forest in the WORLD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylindropuntia_fulgida

Casualties were estimated at 80%.

Ouch!

I've quail hunted in southern Nevada where there is a lot of it. They call
it "jumping cactus" because no matter how careful you are, you can get stuck
by it. It doesn't really "jump"............ or does it?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

stuff snipped

These days they would have air support that would keep everyone's head
down. That was the other plane that was impressive. An AC-130H
"Spectre" would have people digging their fox hole a little deeper.

Would that be the famous "Son of Puff the Magic Dragon?" I know a version
of that song that's way too politically incorrect to post here. The last
time I posted it I got cut to pieces even though it's an equal opportunity
offender of a song. I know the original Puffs were already long in the
tooth when they were used in the Vietnam war - I believe the Puffs were
built on the military version of the DC-3. I've seen footage of gunships
like the Spectre taking out entire city blocks in seconds. The
Panama/Noriega business, IIRC. Gotta love those miniguns. Talk about your
unique sounds. Designed and made by that tax cheat, GE! (-:

The only thing I've seen that's more impressive were tests of the stacked
bullet array guns called "MetalStorm" with firing rates in excess of 1
MILLION rounds per minute. Targets just disappear in a puff of smoke. Talk
about a "hail of bullets."

http://cseserv.engr.scu.edu/StudentW...earchPaper.htm

Good illustrations but too concerned with ethics. (-: That author merely
confirms the amazing lethality of these new guns by writing:

"Metal Storm military technology is too powerful to be classified as a
conventional weapon. While it only fires bullets, and does not unleash
biological, chemical, or radioactive toxins, it is still a technology that
is currently too powerful to be used for military applications."

I'll take "too powerful" over "not powerful enough" for OUR military weapons
any day. The large array metalstorm guns make a sound unlike anything
you've ever heard. Imagine the angriest beehive in the world and multiply
by 100,000. I've seen a troop carrier loaded with crash test dummies just
vanishing into a cloud of confetti. It's almost like a military Cuisinart
set to puree the enemy. Looks nothing like a conventional gun and more like
those black monoliths from the movie "2001." As you can imagine, DoD is
*very* interested in this technology, especially for defeating (shredding)
incoming missiles.

--
Bobby G.

Oil tank sight tube Bob2000 UK diy 8 December 1st 10 01:24 PM
New Front Sight offer... Joe Metalworking 0 August 31st 10 03:36 PM
Seeing occasional bubble in A/C sight glass Mikepier Home Repair 8 March 25th 08 04:13 PM
Web Mailing Animation Through Sight & ... [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 3rd 07 08:05 PM
Sight glass gasket material ? Malcolm Stewart UK diy 0 November 8th 05 03:43 PM