Posted to alt.home.repair

Default LEAK in wall? (Was: new valve stems - unequal water pressure)

Sounds serious. Hope you have relatives nearby, you can fill
water jugs and such. Neighbor to let you run some water, for
toilet flushing and other essentials. Living with water off,
is no fun. I know, I've done it for a couple hours here and
there.

Saturday March 26, at 6:53 PM is a bad time to be calling a
plumber.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

The water department was just here and turned off the meter.
That
turned off the water. So I have a broken pipe at some
point. I could
also hear the water running outside next to the shut off
with the
valve off. I wonder whether that suggests that the break is
outside?

This is an older house and I really don't know what the
pipes are made
off.

If it is the main inlet valve that is bad, wouldn't there
still be
water available at the faucets with the valve off? There
isn't any
right now with the valve off. Not even a drip coming out of
the tub
valves with the stems out.

And by the way, yes the electric was off when draining the
H/W tank.

I am really not getting the connection between draining the
h/w tank
or even replacing the valve stems and this break. Guess
I'll find out
when I get a plumber out here.

Thanks again for the input.