Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A cool sight today

On 3/26/2011 12:21 PM, Rich Grise wrote:
Ned Simmons wrote:

C-130 with JATO takeoff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLFB7q8tyd8

There's an old UL about some guys who attached a JATO bottle to a car,
and splatted themselves into a mountainside.

This guy claims to be 99 percent sure he made it up in 1978; I'm 100
percent sure he didn't, because I first heard it in 1969.
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/8.08/rocketcar.html
;-)

Cheers!
Rich

And it was most likely a UL. It might have been done (it was done more
recently) but the results were probably not as dramatic as the tales
tell. Myth Busters did this one and decided that apply horsepower to
the road was much more efficient than applying it to the air.