Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb cavelamb is offline

Default A cool sight today

Ned Simmons wrote:
On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 09:44:44 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message
Originally misposted to alt.home.repair, but hey, they liked it, too.

Driving northward past Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada, and coming straight
at
us on final southerly approach, a C-130. Unknown if just a cargo carrier,
or a Spooky, but one big fat slow beautiful airplane. My wife saw it
first
and quipped, "What the hell is that?" It takes a lot to get her
attention.
I just said it was a weapons platform that you would not want looking for
you.

Steve

My Dad was a wingnut (electronic instrument tech) back in the 1960s and he
was always impressed with the C130. Its ability to take off form a short
jungle field, its ability to fly with engines falling off, its incredible
lifting capacity, and its absolutely incredible reliability. Every time we
see one he comments on the plane. Since I live about a mile and a half from
a major marine corps air station we get to see them pretty often.

C-130 with JATO takeoff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLFB7q8tyd8

Look up the C-130 carrier quals for interesting video!

--

Richard Lamb
email me: