Posted to uk.d-i-y
therustyone therustyone is offline

Default Substation copper theft

On Mar 25, 1:23*pm, Part timer wrote:
I've read this piece on the website of a local paper:

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.c...-Headline/arti...
orhttp://tinyurl.com/68kao8g

Probably written by someone with a proverbial lack of knowledge, but
this bit puzzled me:

'All properties in the UK have electricity supplied at 240 volts.
However, without copper earthing, this can soar to 400 volts'.

Any ideas?

It happened to a housing development I was in 25 years ago. Builders
dug through the UG cable neutral and left 400 v on some flats due to
unbalanced load. Midlands Electric, as it was then, replaced a large
number of TV's, kettles,fridges, heaters etc. etc. which went up in
smoke and flames. No one injured fortunately.

rusty.