Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Rust on free weights

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 18:54:12 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

Now if your heart is set on rehabbing theses- peel off any plastic
covers, and haul them to local metal finishing job shop. They can
bead-blast them and apply a clearcoat cheaper and better than you can,
and they will look stunning. But expect to pay close to what new weights
would cost. Local marine supply can re-plastic them with the same stuff
they use to coat dock parts and trailer frames with- sort of a
plasticized baked-on powder coat system. But again, it ain't cheap.

I looked into getting a stove and having it painted harvest gold at an
auto body shop. He gave me a price quickly, but my memory is vague
now. It was going to be 300 or 400 dollars.

When I stripped the 32-year-old stove, I saw that both sides and the
back came from one piece of metal. I figured the sides were screwed
on, but I would have had to take the whole stove there to be painted.

Instead paid 100 for a beautiful 20 y.o. one.
The day I took the old stove to the dump**, aAfter I dropped my friend
off, two blocks away on the grass near the curb was another beautiful
harvest gold stove. They weren't throwing it away or selling it, but
still quite a coincidence. It was exactly like my "new" stove.

**where a guy intercepted me and asked for it, so he and I put it in
his truck so he could sell it for scrap.