Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rust on free weights

Many years ago, I bought a cheap set of dumbbells at one of those used
sporting goods stores. The finish is now starting to crack and peel in
some places. I'm wondering if there is some type of vinyl or similar
coating I can put on them to stop the deterioration.

My set goes from 2 lbs to 80 lbs. The ones from 30 lbs on up are hex
weights similar to this:

http://tinyurl.com/4o4n2t6

They appear to be solid metal. There is no deterioration with them.

The smaller ones are round and appear to have some sort of metallic
paint over a dark brown metal (iron?). There is minor chipping and
flaking in various places. One of the 15 lb weights actually has a bit
of a hole in the handle. The first picture below is low res, the
second is higher.

http://tinypic.com/r/14nohw6/7

http://tinypic.com/r/212bng2/7

Is there anything I can get that will stick to these and stand up to
some banging about?

What about Plasti-Dip, the stuff used to put a rubberized coat on tool
handles?

Will I need to first remove or at least roughen up the existing paint?

Or should I just used this as an excuse to convince the boss that I
need a set of those adjustable dumbbells?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 24, 1:59*am, Sesquipedalian Sam
wrote:
[...]

From what I saw in your pics, nothing you do will last more than a
couple years, if that.

Go buy new ones. Sell or give away your old ones. There are many kids
out there that would love to have your old ones. Or, sell them on
craigslist or at the scrap yard for recycling.

Hank ~~~ knows what Sam wants to hear. :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

As an incentive for someone to buy them, maybe add some bondo (for
filling the holes) to the offer.

Option 2 (expensive?): Have them sand blasted, bondo the holes, prime
(with metal primer) and repaint. Spray primer and spray paint in
aerosol cans. If funds are limited, do just a few at a time. Start
with the ones that are damaged the most, if you screw up with the
damaged ones, pfftt, they were in bad shape anyway.

Option 3 (more expensive): Have them sand blasted, bondo the holes,
have them powder coated.

Compare those options vs selling and buying new.

If you're thinking spot repairs, maybe invest in a grinding wheel,
with a wire brush wheel, to buff (rather than sand) the rust spots.

Sonny
Posted to alt.home.repair

I didn't(can't) look at the photo but they are wieghts. If they still
have some weight to them they probably do the same job as new ones.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Is there anything I can get that will stick to these and stand up to
some banging about?

What about Plasti-Dip, the stuff used to put a rubberized coat on tool
handles?

Will I need to first remove or at least roughen up the existing paint?

A lot of metal coatings will work fine but you have to remove all of the
old rust and paint first. Sand blasting is best but any of the rust
removers will also work. Make sure you clean the remover all off. If
surface prep is good then paint will be good and vice-versa.

The Plasti-Dip is good or even any metal paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 22:59:47 -0700, Sesquipedalian Sam
wrote:

Many years ago, I bought a cheap set of dumbbells at one of those used
sporting goods stores. The finish is now starting to crack and peel in
some places. I'm wondering if there is some type of vinyl or similar
coating I can put on them to stop the deterioration.

I've found a wire wheel on a bench grinder does a great job of
removing rust. If the item is not painted, it comes out looking brand
new.

You can remove the encasement around the wheel if there is one and use
a bigger wire wheel and that's good too.

BUT BE SURE TO WEAR GLASSES, PROBABLY SAFETY GLASSES. The wires from
the wheel come out once in a while and I have found them stabbing into
my clothes. One or two have hit my face, but the glasses keep them
from hitting my eyes.

But as I see it, barbells are all steel and sometimes rusted. If I
were a "real man", that's the kind I would want.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Sesquipedalian Sam wrote:

snip

Or should I just used this as an excuse to convince the boss that I
need a set of those adjustable dumbbells?

Those are horribly dangerous, and nothing whatsoever could possibly make
them safe for use. I wouldn't even let a pet bird in the same room with
those things. You need a new set, immediately, unless you want to end up
in the ER. The adjustable ones are the only ones OSHA approves for
corporate gyms. If you get the original Bowflex ones, rather than a
knockoff, they will also make your penis longer, thicker, and twice as
hard. The knockoffs will serve for muscle building, but do nothing at
all for virility.

Feel free to pass my expertise on to your wife.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Price new or used weights first, at local sporting goods shops,
freecycle, thrift stores, garage sales, and apartment dumpsters on the
weekend closest to end of month. Like any exercise equipment, there is a
ton of it out there barely used, at close to scrap metal prices.

Now if your heart is set on rehabbing theses- peel off any plastic
covers, and haul them to local metal finishing job shop. They can
bead-blast them and apply a clearcoat cheaper and better than you can,
and they will look stunning. But expect to pay close to what new weights
would cost. Local marine supply can re-plastic them with the same stuff
they use to coat dock parts and trailer frames with- sort of a
plasticized baked-on powder coat system. But again, it ain't cheap.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

From what I saw in your pics, nothing you do will last more than a
couple years, if that.

Are you sure? I've never used that Plasti-Dip, but it seems like if it
can coat tool handles and then stand up to being tossed around in a
toolbox, I would think that it could do this job. The weights don't
bang into each other or anything else. If it seals the surface, it
should stop the deterioration, no?

Go buy new ones. Sell or give away your old ones. There are many kids
out there that would love to have your old ones. Or, sell them on
craigslist or at the scrap yard for recycling.

Hank ~~~ knows what Sam wants to hear. :-)

True, I'd like a new set,m especailly the adjustable ones, but I am a
cheapstake, too. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 05:58:42 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

As an incentive for someone to buy them, maybe add some bondo (for
filling the holes) to the offer.

Option 2 (expensive?): Have them sand blasted, bondo the holes, prime
(with metal primer) and repaint. Spray primer and spray paint in
aerosol cans. If funds are limited, do just a few at a time. Start
with the ones that are damaged the most, if you screw up with the
damaged ones, pfftt, they were in bad shape anyway.

Option 3 (more expensive): Have them sand blasted, bondo the holes,
have them powder coated.

Compare those options vs selling and buying new.

If you're thinking spot repairs, maybe invest in a grinding wheel,
with a wire brush wheel, to buff (rather than sand) the rust spots.

I'm not going to do a lot of work (or spend a lot of $$$) to
rehabilitate them. If just a little cleanup and then a coating won't
do it, I'll use them as is until I can get new ones.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 06:16:53 -0700 (PDT), Thomas
wrote:

I didn't(can't) look at the photo but they are wieghts. If they still
have some weight to them they probably do the same job as new ones.

Depends on what you mean by "do the job". I'm pretty sure my 15 lb
weights weigh about the same as brand new 15 lb weights, but the
adjustable sets look to be a lot easier to use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 15:06:36 GMT, Reno wrote:

Is there anything I can get that will stick to these and stand up to
some banging about?

What about Plasti-Dip, the stuff used to put a rubberized coat on tool
handles?

Will I need to first remove or at least roughen up the existing paint?

A lot of metal coatings will work fine but you have to remove all of the
old rust and paint first. Sand blasting is best but any of the rust
removers will also work. Make sure you clean the remover all off. If
surface prep is good then paint will be good and vice-versa.

The Plasti-Dip is good or even any metal paint.

So if I clean them up a little with a wire brush, I should be able to
paint them with Plasti-Dip and have it stick?

Since it completely covers the weights, if it can stick to itself, it
should work, no?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 10:12:20 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Sesquipedalian Sam wrote:

snip

Or should I just used this as an excuse to convince the boss that I
need a set of those adjustable dumbbells?

Those are horribly dangerous, and nothing whatsoever could possibly make
them safe for use.

Goodness, I never realized that.

I wouldn't even let a pet bird in the same room with those things.

How about a pet rock?

You need a new set, immediately, unless you want to end up in the ER.

Goodness, no.

The adjustable ones are the only ones OSHA approves for
corporate gyms. If you get the original Bowflex ones, rather than a
knockoff, they will also make your penis longer, thicker, and twice as
hard.

But would I need to buy all new pants?

The knockoffs will serve for muscle building, but do nothing at
all for virility.

How can they get away with making those claims?

Feel free to pass my expertise on to your wife.

You don't want to do it yourself? I think she'd like you. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

You can buy a container of rust proof material used for primarily
autos. Wire down or just knock off the paint with your fingers. Then
either paint it on or spray it on. It is beige in color as it goes
right on the rust but then dries to a firm black color as the rust is
oxidized into the coating. You actually tun the rust into a protective
coating. Then paint it.

Just Say No to government terrorists. I demand the monitoring device
out fo my back Richard Nixon and the CAI stuck there when George H W
Bush kidnapped me in 1982

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 18:54:12 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

Now if your heart is set on rehabbing theses- peel off any plastic
covers, and haul them to local metal finishing job shop. They can
bead-blast them and apply a clearcoat cheaper and better than you can,
and they will look stunning. But expect to pay close to what new weights
would cost. Local marine supply can re-plastic them with the same stuff
they use to coat dock parts and trailer frames with- sort of a
plasticized baked-on powder coat system. But again, it ain't cheap.

I looked into getting a stove and having it painted harvest gold at an
auto body shop. He gave me a price quickly, but my memory is vague
now. It was going to be 300 or 400 dollars.

When I stripped the 32-year-old stove, I saw that both sides and the
back came from one piece of metal. I figured the sides were screwed
on, but I would have had to take the whole stove there to be painted.

Instead paid 100 for a beautiful 20 y.o. one.
The day I took the old stove to the dump**, aAfter I dropped my friend
off, two blocks away on the grass near the curb was another beautiful
harvest gold stove. They weren't throwing it away or selling it, but
still quite a coincidence. It was exactly like my "new" stove.

**where a guy intercepted me and asked for it, so he and I put it in
his truck so he could sell it for scrap.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

I didn't(can't) look at the photo but they are wieghts. If they still
have some weight to them they probably do the same job as new ones.

Depends on what you mean by "do the job". I'm pretty sure my 15 lb
weights weigh about the same as brand new 15 lb weights,

Probably not. The new ones use metric pounds and yours are probably
poundal pounds.