Posted to alt.home.repair

Default pipe more flexible than PEX?

On Mar 24, 8:57*am, bob haller wrote:
On Mar 24, 12:59*am, Oren wrote:

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 13:59:03 -0700, "bob" wrote:
A section of copper pipe in my garage (supplies an outside faucet) wall
bursted during winter. I heard replacing that section with PEX would make it
more freeze resistant. I went and checked out PEX pipe at a hardware store
and they don't feel all that flexible. Is there something flexible like
garden hose and is legal to use?

PEX is fine. It will expanded and contract during freezing, *but will
not break or leak. Trick is to not have sharp radius bends that kinks
the pipe. There is also "Therma Pex" for in ground use...

anther solution is relocating the outside outlet so it no longer goes
thru unheated space, and if you wish to keep the outlet where it is
valve it back in the heated area and drain every winter which isnt a
bad idea even with PEX

I've heard more cautious comments about pex and freezing. That it is
more resistant but a hard freeze will expand it more than it will
contract back when thawed. Enough hard freezes and it will break
eventually. Put a turn off valve further back up the line would be
the best solution.