Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier Mikepier is offline

Default Can Halo Hi-hat junction box be used as splice box for another circuit

The best way is just to run a new feed. *The second best is to install a
junction box with a mud ring flush with the finished ceiling or wall and put
a blank cover over it if you can't use it for an outlet or light fixture.

Can't run a new feed because the bx is buried in the plaster wall
feeding the outlet. Would be a PITA if I tried to re-run it.

I thought about maybe putting a box flush to the ceiling and putting
a 110V smoke detector, but I think its a little close to the kitchen,
which would set it off.
I'll have to look next time.