Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default EMY Conduit bending update

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 11:56:53 -0400, "Tom Gardner" w@w wrote:

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Tom Gardner" w@w wrote in message
Here's a link to the part I need to make.
http://www.princecastle.com/products...ar_brushes.asp

Ok, some comments.

1. Since I work with EMT fairly often I think that its too soft
for that application. It's a scrub brush. I don't know about other
people, but I put some muscle into a scrub brush. Your milage will
vary.

2. The bend at the brush is easy and could almost be done over
your knee with 1/2 EMT.

3. The bend at the handle end might have a radius a little small
for a regular old throw it on the floor and put your foot on it
manual bender. A bench top compact bender could handle it just
fine.

5. Not sure about the little plastic caps. For a one off for
myself I might turn them out of HDPE round stock, because it would
last forever. For cheap production, not sure.

6. The bends in the pictured handle appear to be drawn and bent.
Not just bent like with a manual bender.

The brushes last about a week in the chain eateries. They can replace
the brush but usually don't.

I wonder how much that indicates that the handles bend or break...

--
Make up your mind to act decidedly and take the consequences.
No good is ever done in this world by hesitation.