Posted to sci.electronics.repair
baron baron is offline

Default Running a PC outside of a computer case

Mark Zacharias Inscribed thus:

"Baron" wrote in message
Meat Plow Inscribed thus:

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 21:59:29 +0000, Baron wrote:

D Inscribed thus:

I notice that no one in this whole thread has mentioned taking
suitable precautions against causing damage from static discharge !

And in your opinion, this indicates what?

Ignorance ! An awful lot of the new build failures that I see are
from people who have no understanding of how easy it is to cause
damage to components simply from not being aware that damage can
occur during handling.

It seems that all made the assumption that the OP is aware of this.
The original question suggests that the OP isn't !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

I don't think static is a common failure mode of bipolar devices. And
no, I'm not saying it never happens, anything is possible. Just not
common, that's all.

Mark Z.

I agree static damage to bipolar semiconductors is less likely than it
is to cmos ones since they don't have an intrinsic insulation layer to
puncture.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.