Posted to alt.home.repair
bpuharic bpuharic is offline

Default Deterring wood peckers

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 20:35:44 -0400, Cheryl
wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions about my hardwood floors. I've put protection
on my furniture and looking at products to keep them in good shape. I
really appreciate the replies. I wanted to find that thread and reply
but my FIOS has been off for a few days due to someone incompetent. My
service was *accidentally* disconnected at the "main box" and I had to
wait for a tech to come visit to find that out. Well, I got 90 days of
free movie channels for my displeasure, so long as I remember to cancel it.

Anyway, in the last few days I've heard a woodpecker working away at my
roof. What a racket they make and I can't even imagine the damage!
Before the woodpecker I'd been looking into bird deterrents to keep away
sparrows that nest in the soffet over the front door every spring and
make a mess with their droppings, and was looking at owl decoys. I
ordered one from Amazon that hoots and has a motion sensor and turns
toward detected movement, but it came and the head was broken off. So
back it went. I found a less expensive one that just has a bobble head
but it's solar powered so that even if there isn't wind, it will still
occasionally move its head. I put that on the front porch to hopefully
keep away the sparrows.

Back to the woodpecker. Is there anything that can act as a deterrent
to them? Also at Amazon i found streamers made from Mylar that has a
holographic print and the movement in the wind and the reflected light
is supposed to scare birds away. Anyone have any success with something
like this? And where to place it?

had that problem on my t111 siding. yeah they can **** things up.
chased 'em away a few times and that seemed to work