Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Running a PC outside of a computer case

Meat Plow wrote:

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 19:41:27 +0000, Baron wrote:

Meat Plow Inscribed thus:

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 17:16:06 -0700, William Sommerwerck wrote:

I notice that no one in this whole thread has mentioned taking
suitable precautions against causing damage from static discharge!

It's implicit. It's assumed anyone who wants to do this knows the
routine.

I would suspect that based on the OP question, that might not be a safe
assumption.

That's what I thought also. You need to be aware of ESD precautions
before you experiment with most modern electronics. I've been using an
anti-static mat and wristband for a good 25 years. I've run my fair
share of computer equipment while testing components using a
motherboard set atop a non-conductive surface.

I don't disagree. But then you and I have been doing this kind of work
for a good many years. I'll bet that you will have had odd failures,
particularly in the early years that you couldn't explain. ;-)

I've damaged things with ESD. Just because myself or anyone else didn't
bring it up in this thread until you did does not make you any better.
Comprende?

I found your reply a bit acerbic and degrading to the group denizens who
might have a few hundred years of combined electronics service
experience.

And hundreds of people with little or no understanding of ESD
precautions. Like the fact that a properly designed antistatic wrist
band has a 1 Meg flameproof resistor between you and ground to limit the
discharge current, and to keep some idiot from getting cocky and
electrocuting themselves.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.