Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
justme[_2_] justme[_2_] is offline

Default BACKHOE PICTURES AS PROMISED. I REALLY DO THANK YOU GUYS

Okay, Bob. Will keep an eye on that group. Had two posts in it when
I looked.

Joe

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 21:04:22 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

On 3/21/2011 8:55 PM, justme wrote:
So, there is no bout a dought it at this point, it is the steering
valve? I will have to get a rebuild kit as I am retired and have
never seen ~ $500 bux for a new valve, in a long time.

This is going to be a job but so long as I have you guys as mentors, I
will go ahead.

Can I dig a ditch for you in return?

Joe

Post over in alt.fan.tractors also. Once in a while somebody
knowledgeable responds over there.

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 21:19:54 -0600, "Pete
wrote:

"Steve W." wrote:

justme wrote:
Latest information on this IH 3400A backhoe. Today, the steering
wheel will turn with great effort. The tires will turn somewhat,
bearing in mind that I have the front tires jacked up off of the
ground.

It feels like that there are 'notches' that the s. wheel goes thru
while turning. I am afraid that I sound like many women when they try
to describe a noise to a mechanic. To salvage my prowess, I have
built and repaired many engines in my long time here on earth but I am
a neophyte on hydraulics. I need Pascal to tutor me.

Pete, you seem very confident that the steering valve needs to be
rebuilt/replaced. I am afraid replacement is out of the question due
to all the banks around here recognize me so, I can't 'withdraw'
money.

Pete, can you tell me any other tests to perform before I let all of
the springs and ball bearings out of the S. valve?

Anyone, everyone?

Thank you immensely.

Joe

http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r...%20%20BACKHOE/

I think that the captions are self-explanatory, if not, please let me
know.

Bad valve.
You should be able to rebuild it.

Yep. That looks like one of the newer style steering valves, the one I
rebuilt was older. You should be able to get a rebuild kit with new
seals, O-rings and other small parts to rebuild it at a dealer.

The two critical things to a successful rebuild are cleanliness and
taking a lot of pictures as you tear it down. You don't need to actually
understand how the valve works, just match replacement parts from the
kit to the old parts, replace and put it back together properly. The
rebuild kit is often for several different versions and will usually
contain some parts you won't need.

When I rebuilt my steering valve I used several cans of 3M brake cleaner
to clean everything well (wear nitrile gloves, latex last 2.5 seconds
with that cleaner), and I had a cup of clean hydraulic fluid to dip the
parts in when I was reassembling the valve.

With that being the newer style valve you can get a new one for around
$500 if need be.