Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Baron[_4_] Baron[_4_] is offline

Default Running a PC outside of a computer case

Meat Plow Inscribed thus:

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 17:16:06 -0700, William Sommerwerck wrote:

I notice that no one in this whole thread has mentioned taking
suitable precautions against causing damage from static discharge!

It's implicit. It's assumed anyone who wants to do this knows the
routine.

I would suspect that based on the OP question, that might not be a safe
assumption.

That's what I thought also. You need to be aware of ESD precautions
before you experiment with most modern electronics. I've been using an
anti-static mat and wristband for a good 25 years. I've run my fair
share of computer equipment while testing components using a
motherboard set atop a non-conductive surface.

I don't disagree. But then you and I have been doing this kind of work
for a good many years. I'll bet that you will have had odd failures,
particularly in the early years that you couldn't explain. ;-)

--
Best Regards:
Baron.