Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default BACKHOE PICTURES AS PROMISED. I REALLY DO THANK YOU GUYS

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 22:12:50 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

justme wrote:
Latest information on this IH 3400A backhoe. Today, the steering
wheel will turn with great effort. The tires will turn somewhat,
bearing in mind that I have the front tires jacked up off of the
ground.

It feels like that there are 'notches' that the s. wheel goes thru
while turning. I am afraid that I sound like many women when they try
to describe a noise to a mechanic. To salvage my prowess, I have
built and repaired many engines in my long time here on earth but I am
a neophyte on hydraulics. I need Pascal to tutor me.

Pete, you seem very confident that the steering valve needs to be
rebuilt/replaced. I am afraid replacement is out of the question due
to all the banks around here recognize me so, I can't 'withdraw'
money.

Pete, can you tell me any other tests to perform before I let all of
the springs and ball bearings out of the S. valve?

http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r...%20%20BACKHOE/

I think that the captions are self-explanatory, if not, please let me
know.

Yeah, Pete's right. You might be able to clean the valve, and that
just might fix it (seeing the age), but you'll need a new seal kit at
minimum. Be sure to get a good exploded diagram before disassembly,
then keep track of the parts well.

Crud builds up between parts and can gouge channels, so pray for goo
vs. metal filings and farrows. Goo dissolves. G'luck!

--
"I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded
professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who