Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anyone Have an Atlas Shaper using Atlas 3 PH Power?

On 2011-03-20, FBsFinest wrote:

DoN,

I've been using 3 PH for many years. This is one of those 'I want to
be different ideas'. Most people don't want to deal with 3 PH so I
thought it might be easier to acquire these pieces because users might

[ ... ]

* * * * Sorry that I don't have the pieces you need. *Not sure that
there were ever very many of those systems made with three phase.

[ ... ]

I actually saw an Atlas shaper with a 3-phase motor at a school
auction once,
was a fractional horsepower item IIRC, like 1/2 horse. Motor was a
proprietary thing,
would have taken a lot of work to fit a standard frame single phase
motor. Lots of pieces
missing, so not that great a deal. Same auction also had a Delta
scroll saw with a 1/4 horse
3-phase motor on it, same deal, proprietary motor. Smallest 3-phase
motors I've ever seen. I
guess whoever specced the things to start with wanted the same type of
plugs in the whole shop.
Had a small Baldor grinder, was 3-phase, too.

Perhaps the school used them to discourage theft of the tools?
Most thieves would not know what to do with three phase powered tools.

Guess the O.P. should
have been there, although
the stuff didn't go cheap. One bidder on the scroll saw didn't even
know what 3-phase was when I
mentioned it. "Whazzat?" Guess he thought I was trying to discourage
bidders.

I wonder whether he was the one who won it -- and thus would
have to find out what three phase was? :-)

FWIW -- I keep planning to swap a three-phase motor into my Clausing
12x24" lathe -- and run it from a VFD. But I keep being too
busy *using* the lathe to work on it for that. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564