Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Push button for garage door opener

jamesgangnc wrote:
On Mar 21, 12:31 am, wrote:
On 03/20/2011 08:29 AM, gcotterl wrote:

No, Steve, I did not buy a lighted doorbell button.

My garage has two doors: a 16-foot wide sectional door (operated by
the garage-door opener) and a 32-inch wide back-door.

I'd like to put a push button beside each door so do I buy two
"momentary" push buttons?

Do "momentary" push-buttons have a different name? (The Lowes/Home
Depot people don't know what I'm talking about).

A momentary normally open switch is one that is open (off) when it is
not pressed and closed (on) when it is pressed.

Example 1: a door-buzzer switch: the buzzer is buzzing only when you are
pressing the button.

Example 2: The circuit that controls the motor of a door opener is
sensitive to the momentary switch's transitions from off to on.

Probably you should just buy two switches at a place that sells and
fixes garage doors.

For what it's worth, my liftmaster has an "intelligent" button. It
connects with just 2 wires that power it and it sends signals back
down the two wires on top of the power to the controller to raise and
lower the door, to lock the door, and to activate the light. So no
ordinary push button is going to work on mine. Just saying there are
others out there.

Hmmm,
Joking, right? If not you are an idiot!