Posted to sci.electronics.repair
D D is offline

Default Running a PC outside of a computer case

On 3/20/2011 9:31 PM, wrote:

I've built a few dozen PCs over the years. I would never bother
running the system out of the case. Mine nearly always work fine ( one
exception ) and then you'll have to unplug and mount it anyway and
plug together again. You're more likely to screw it up OUT of the case
so why take the chance and waste the time? BTW the case / power supply
I'm using now - the wife's machine - is on its 4th motherboard. The
latest change 2 weeks back took an hour - so short because the old and
new boards are nearly identical and didn't require any re-installation
of the software. The newer board can use the higher power/speed Phenom
II processor now in it.

I rely quite heavily on my PC on a daily basis, and don't really want to
be without a functional machine. In order to load the OS & see if
everything is operable, I only need to connect 1 HDD, 1 DVD drive, the
vid card & monitor, keyboard, mouse & PSU. The only bit I'll need from
the existing machine is the vid card, an easy R&R in either direction.
No big deal, and if there is a problem, a DOA component, perhaps, it's a
lot less trouble finding out this way and dealing with getting a
replacement than removing the new board & completely reassembling my
working unit so I have it in the meantime.