Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Grant[_5_] Grant[_5_] is offline

Default Running a PC outside of a computer case

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 14:54:26 -0700, D wrote:

I've built one computer, and will soon be building another. I would
like to initially set up & test this new machine on the bench, outside
of a computer case (simply connecting the PSU, etc., w/o all the bits
being in a case). Seems straightforward, but I have a couple questions.
First, am I correct that the front panel on/off switch generally used
to start the PC is simply a momentary contact switch that briefly
connects the "PW+" and "PW-" terminals on the MOBO? Same with the
reset/reboot switch function, using "res+" and "RES-"? Also, is it
necessary to run a ground wire between the PSU case, and one of the MOBO
pads where the screws go to attach the MOBO to the case when installed?
Since the metal case would "ground" these 2 together, I was wondering.
If this is required, should all metal cases (HDD, DVD drive, etc) be
so "grounded together"?

Any other helpful points about running a PC on the bench this way would
be greatly appreciated.

I do temporary lashups like that to test gear, need to put the mobo on a
book or something non-conducting to raise the edge where NIC and display
cards go. Don't need extra grounds. The power is momentary contact, low
voltage, shorting out the connectors in that area shouldn't do a damage as
they're either switch inputs or current limited LED outputs.

Put the hard drive where you wont bump it, probably on top of the optical
drive. When in doubt, sticky tape stuff down. You want LEDs in the power
and HD positions to get an idea what's happening. Speaker too, for the
beeps. Pair of momentary switches or wires for power and reset... I keep
an old switch + LED harness from a discarded case around for controlling a
bare mobo.

Grant.

TIA

Dan