Posted to sci.electronics.repair
D D is offline

Default Running a PC outside of a computer case

On 3/20/2011 4:51 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 3/20/2011 2:43 PM William Sommerwerck spake thus:

"Obviously" (???) you're trying to avoid mounting the MOBO. But I suspect
that the additional work needed to place the MOBO on a clean,
non-conductive
surface, and hold it there safely -- along with all the other
components -- will be greater than the work needed to mount it safely
in the case.

Hell, most work table tops, or a piece of cardboard, would do the trick.

The company I used to work for did this all the time when they built
systems; lay everything out on the bench with a monitor and keyboard and
power it up. Simple, so long as you use common sense and watch what
you're doing.

Thanks for the replies. I only have one ATX case, which currently
contains my working computer, which I want to have available until I get
the new bits checked out, OS loaded, up and running, etc. I have a
momentary contact switch from an older machine which should do nicely
for powering up, although I've heard of people simply using a small
screwdriver for this. I'd rather not run the risk of accidentally
shorting to the wrong terminals, though. Agreed care is in order,
probably don't want to have my pitcher of Koolaid on the same table as
the spread-out bits, but I think it should be OK.

I gather then that there's no need to ground the PSU case & other bits
together with clip leads?

Dan