Posted to sci.electronics.repair
D D is offline

Default Running a PC outside of a computer case

I've built one computer, and will soon be building another. I would
like to initially set up & test this new machine on the bench, outside
of a computer case (simply connecting the PSU, etc., w/o all the bits
being in a case). Seems straightforward, but I have a couple questions.
First, am I correct that the front panel on/off switch generally used
to start the PC is simply a momentary contact switch that briefly
connects the "PW+" and "PW-" terminals on the MOBO? Same with the
reset/reboot switch function, using "res+" and "RES-"? Also, is it
necessary to run a ground wire between the PSU case, and one of the MOBO
pads where the screws go to attach the MOBO to the case when installed?
Since the metal case would "ground" these 2 together, I was wondering.
If this is required, should all metal cases (HDD, DVD drive, etc) be
so "grounded together"?

Any other helpful points about running a PC on the bench this way would
be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Dan