Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default Push button for garage door opener

gcotterl wrote in news:83cf2337-dfbb-4dc7-
:

No, Steve, I did not buy a lighted doorbell button.

My garage has two doors: a 16-foot wide sectional door (operated by
the garage-door opener) and a 32-inch wide back-door.

I'd like to put a push button beside each door so do I buy two
"momentary" push buttons?

Do "momentary" push-buttons have a different name? (The Lowes/Home
Depot people don't know what I'm talking about).

In my layman's view, this is how the garagedoor openers (pushbutton or
remote) work: There are 3 possible actions - open, stop, close. They
get used in that order and then start anew. In addition there are stops
at the top and bottom that only issue the stop order. A momentary signal
from the remote or from the doorbell-type button issue the action
commands. If you get a button switch that switches between on and off,
you are energizing the circuit(s) far too long if you only push the
button once. You have to push that button twice to have the same action
as the door bell with a single push and let go.

--
Best regards
Han