Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
azotic[_4_] azotic[_4_] is offline

Default Fuk-u-shima

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Gawd....

This is serious: At Michigan State, our cafeteria burgers (back in the
'60s) came from cows from our Research Farm. No kidding. They had a
two-headed calf out there, and a cow with a glass window in its stomach,
so you could watch it digest its food. They also raised herds of
more-or-less normal cows that, we hoped, were the ones they slaughtered
for our burgers, although they never told us what kind of "research" they
had been subjected to.

The two-headed calf was good for the tongue market, I suppose. As for
watching the glass-windowed stomach...well, there wasn't a lot to do in
the middle of Michigan, and we needed something to do on a date that would
get the milkmaids excited. It was amazing how many couples would show up
at the barn on a Friday night.

We also had a research project going on that attempted to learn how much
soy meal we could tolerate in a burger. If we volunteered, we got all of
the free burgers we could eat. We couldn't drop out...if we couldn't eat
the burgers, we still had to show up, take at least one bite, and report
how much we liked them -- or not.

They started at 10% soy meal, and then ramped it up every two or three
days, IIRC. Up to around 30%, they were good. At 40%, they started to
taste like wet newspaper. By the time they reached 70%, the trick was to
keep from barfing. They went all the way to 90%.

For months after that, I couldn't eat a burger. I'd turn green just
looking at them. I still won't eat tofu.

--
Ed Huntress

Wow what were they thinking 90% soy ? The participents should
have gotten hazzard pay and free counseling for PTSD after eating
that concoction.

Best Regards
Tom.