Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default Homebrew stud extractor

Beryl wrote:
Christopher Tidy wrote:
Phil Kangas wrote:

I think the cotter pin on that other nut is installed incorrectly.
Should be turned 90*, so that one leg bends up over the nut, and the
other points down. I never figured out why it makes a difference,
but that's what I learned somewhere.

That cotter pin is in correctly. In this postion it is more resistant
to shearing if the nut is turned somehow in service. And with
the eye protruding it is easier to pull for maintainence.
phil k.

I've seen them installed both ways. But more commonly in the way shown
in my picture.

Chris

An Airframe & Powerplant Mechanics textbook, and FAA Advisory Circular,
agree that both methods of securing cotter pins are acceptable.

The textbook refers to the up/down bend as the "preferred" method,
implying that the other way is somehow less-than-preferred. There's no
explanation why.
The AC refers to the sideways bend as an "alternate" method.

I think I'll return to the sideways method on my bike, which leaves the
cotter pins in much better condition to reuse, which you aren't supposed
to do.

The most important thing on installing cotter pins is that they are
tight and don't wiggle in the hole or twist because it could eventually
causse them to wear.

John