Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default Noisy Ceiling Cord Pull Switches

In message
,
Jonathan writes
On Mar 16, 2:52Â*pm, John wrote:
On Mar 16, 1:49Â*pm, Another John wrote:

In article ,
Â*Frank Erskine wrote:

What you need is a motion sensor...

HA HA HA! Â*10/10!

Funny how common this problem is -- I also agree with the complaint. I
have a couple of "quiet" ones (what's more, they work with one click,
not a "tick-tock" or rtather "clunk-click" action). Â*I just took the
cover off one of them, but there's no maker's name on the inside. Â*If
you really want me to, I'll unscrew it and see if there's a name on the
side faced to the ceiling.

John

I have just e-mailed MK Techical to ask why they are noisy.

I have been told (wait for it!!)

"The product that you have described will make a €˜noise when the pull
cord is operated due to the mechanical mechanism inside, this coupled
with the location ie mounted plasterboard on the ceiling will sound
louder."

Amazing! Glad I didn't waste a postage stamp!

I will become obsessive and try switches in shops whenever I see them.
In the meantime a swop with my loft switch is called for when it is
light enough.

Incidentally - I have a transformer for LV lamps and a fan so a
sensor / dimmer is not a simple choice.

This whole problem made me put all our bathroom switches outside the
bathrooms when we re-wired. then I could have normal switches.

The problem is that, to prevent arcing, all switches need to have a good
'snap' action. Obviously, this causes the click. [Without the snap
action, you are certain to get a lot more 'crackle and pop'.]

However, I reckon that it's not so much the contacts which make the
noise, but rather the bits that limit the amount of travel of the
switch. If so, then it should be possible to 'soften the blow', and
thereby produce a relatively quiet switch. I have no doubt that someone
has cracked this apparently insoluble problem - but who?
--
Ian