Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Noisy Ceiling Cord Pull Switches

On Mar 16, 1:49*pm, Another John wrote:
In article ,
*Frank Erskine wrote:

What you need is a motion sensor...

HA HA HA! *10/10!

Funny how common this problem is -- I also agree with the complaint. I
have a couple of "quiet" ones (what's more, they work with one click,
not a "tick-tock" or rtather "clunk-click" action). *I just took the
cover off one of them, but there's no maker's name on the inside. *If
you really want me to, I'll unscrew it and see if there's a name on the
side faced to the ceiling.

John

I have just e-mailed MK Techical to ask why they are noisy.

I have been told (wait for it!!)

"The product that you have described will make a ‘noise’ when the pull
cord is operated due to the mechanical mechanism inside, this coupled
with the location ie mounted plasterboard on the ceiling will sound
louder."

Amazing! Glad I didn't waste a postage stamp!

I will become obsessive and try switches in shops whenever I see them.
In the meantime a swop with my loft switch is called for when it is
light enough.

Incidentally - I have a transformer for LV lamps and a fan so a
sensor / dimmer is not a simple choice.