Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Phil Kangas[_3_] Phil Kangas[_3_] is offline

Default Homebrew stud extractor

"Beryl"
wrote in message jim wrote:
Beryl wrote:
Christopher Tidy wrote:
You know when you want to extract a short,
unbroken stud from a casting
without damaging it, but it's stuck tight?
Well I never found a good
way. But I had an idea this afternoon. I took
a hex nut, cut a radial
slit through the nut, screwed it onto the
stud, and squeezed it tight in
a mole wrench (i.e., vise grips). So it
worked a bit like a collet. It
turned the stud out easily. Here's a pictu
http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt22/stud_extractor.jpg
Positioning the vise-grip jaws one facet to
the left would let the
"leading edge" of the nut (that follows the
cut) dig in for a better bite.

The vise grip slipping on the flats of the nut
are going to be the
limiting factor in the amount of torque you can
deliver to the stud.

-jim

Looks like the nut is clamped between the tips
of the jaws so that the nut won't be damaged.
Who cares? Get the nut down in the toothy area,
closer to the fulcrum, and it's less prone to
slip.

I think the cotter pin on that other nut is
installed incorrectly. Should be turned 90*, so
that one leg bends up over the nut, and the
other points down. I never figured out why it
makes a difference, but that's what I learned
somewhere.

That cotter pin is in correctly. In this postion
it is more resistant
to shearing if the nut is turned somehow in
service. And with
the eye protruding it is easier to pull for
maintainence.
phil k.