Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Homebrew stud extractor

Christopher Tidy wrote:
You know when you want to extract a short, unbroken stud from a
casting without damaging it, but it's stuck tight? Well I never found
a good way. But I had an idea this afternoon. I took a hex nut, cut a
radial slit through the nut, screwed it onto the stud, and squeezed it
tight in a mole wrench (i.e., vise grips). So it worked a bit like a
collet. It turned the stud out easily. Here's a pictu
http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt22/stud_extractor.jpg

No doubt some dude in Detroit had the same idea about 80 years ago,
but I was pleased with it :-).

Chris

Reminds me of a couple of years ago when I wanted to extract the shanks
of the spinning tools I had made from the ash handles. When I made them
information was not that readily available it seemed so I sank the steel
tools too far into the handles for the size of work I was doing and
wanted to extract them about a further 6", luckily I had made them
longer than really required. I had set the shanks in with fibreglass
resin. I made a U plate to fit over the tool shank and that had 2 bolts
that bore against the vice jaws that I clamped the shank into, the U
plate pushing on the handle end. Tightening the vice as much as I dared,
a Record 4" vice, it always slipped. When I sat back and thought about
it I realised that vices aren't really intended for high clamping loads
so I made a new clamp for the shank out of 2 pieces of 2" x 1/2" CRS and
used 2 1/2" UNF bolts to provide the clamping load, when tightened that
didn't slip at all and when the bolts on the U plate were tightened it
almost immediately creaked as the bond was broken and the shanks came free.

I think like vices Mole wrenches don't clamp that hard but good to here
a nice easy solution worked for you.